Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Vive - setup tricks, suggestions, hacks etc.

This post will be growing as we find more to add - and I encourage other mods to add items if you feel it should be noted as well. The intention is to help new Vive owners installing and using their new investment with a minimal amount of fuss, and experience it in the best way possible.

Official Installation Video:

Miscs Links

..more to come..
    Last edited by tosvus; 06-03-2016 at 03:57 AM.
    Comments posted in plain text are my own, comments posted as a moderator will be posted in blue.

Is there a hack for leap motion or is it natively supported?

As a temporary or mobile mounting solution Valve recommend these, They are heave as they are steel, but also have a magnetic camera mount mechanism available too, I have had problems source from states and am looking a $410 AUD for two poles a bag and 2 x mounting mechanisms + shipping. an expensive hobby this, i might have to give up my laser projectors

http://www.amazon.com/FastCap-Suppor...W5PQT9GDMPF4GG
    DK1(Delivered) - DK2(Delivered) - CV1(MIA / EST 9 June) - Vive(Deliveredl)
    Water Cooled 5930K OC 24%- 16 GB - 250 GB SSD - GTX980 OC 22 %
    XBox Controller - Hydra - Kinect 1 - Kinect 2 - Thrust master Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - Scitek pedals - Viv controllers

I use the tripods from a chroma rack and a two camera ball heads.

Chroma rack tripods are cheap and tall. Ball heads are required for high lighthouse setups to tilt them (otherwise I had ground calibration problems)

I use pro photography equipment, but something like these [rack and ball-heads] works the same and is very cheap (search a little to find even cheaper options).

Extremely effective and cheap is to use light stands height adjustable upto 6.23ft and tripod ball head

I ordered a pair of those Fastcap poles and camera attachments from the U.S. long before the Vive arrived. The poles take up only a few square inches of floor space and, since I'm 6ft, I can mount the base stations at 7.5ft.
    "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown

Super Moderator
    Added headstrap trick from reddit
    Comments posted in plain text are my own, comments posted as a moderator will be posted in blue.

If you are looking for a wired headset I would recommend the Phillips SHQ5200

Pros:

+ Short cable (no need to mod the cables on your own)
    + Nice sound, Deep bass etc.
    + Not fully closed, so you have a chance to hear what spectators shout.
    + Low weight

Cons:

- Orange colour theme (might turn some people off?)
    - A bit pricey, if you don't get it at a good price

Super Moderator
    This trick works with most headphones, to avoid juggling when taking off/putting on headset..

Super Moderator
    Trick to increase FOV and make the sharp in-focus sweet spot larger. Your Mileage may vary, but it did a great deal for me: