NASA Using HoloLens for Mars Research

We hear so much about virtual reality for the use of gaming, but what NASA is doing with HoloLens is completely different, and completely amazing. They can walk around on Mars wearing the headset, and best yet is that they can command the Mars Rover within the technology.

The general public will also get a release of this so that they can walk around on Mars too. Looking forward to this when it's released, but first I need to get a HoloLens.

Check it out:
    Comments posted as plain-colored text are my own and not necessarily endorsed by VRTalk.
    Comments posted in blue are official Moderator comments.

I guarantee you that by 2025 or whenever we get to Mars, astronauts will all be using some sort of crazy augmented reality. This technology will be incredibly important as we expand our space travel initiatives.

Great news!

This is a great idea, people can reach all they want

I think this is what Microsoft has in mind with the HoloLens. While a lot of people are unsure what HoloLens will be used for especially given the price tag, I think this goes to show exactly who the headset is made for. It's not for individuals looking for AR in their homes. It's for large corporations, educational institutions and government research.

Land of make-believe, I agree 100%

Microsoft is taking this in a completely different direction than any other company and I think in the end it will really be beneficial. We are seeing some surprisingly low numbers for gaming VR, and while it may take a while for that to fully catch on, I don't think that will be the case for enterprise/research VR like Microsoft is aiming for.
    Comments posted as plain-colored text are my own and not necessarily endorsed by VRTalk.
    Comments posted in blue are official Moderator comments.