What's the long term vision for VirtualTouch?

Just curious where do you guys see yourselves in 1 year, 5 years, 10+ years? I love what you are doing and realize that there are other companies working on such technology. Where do you see the industry of haptic touch and hand sensing for VR/AR headed? Do you think people will want to actually wear gloves to play games or interact with environments? Do you anticipate that one such device will be required per hand or just one device per person?

Hi,

This is a super interesting question! I will divide my answer like your questions:

Short term (1 year)
    The vision of VirtualTouch right now is to be a quality controller with good accuracy that can mimic truly a Virtual interaction as a Real interaction. No matter the hardware size and the type of technology. Off course, price is really important for the target audience, but, right now, we do not have this information.
    In summary, the next year is made for building a good hardware.

Mid term (5 year)
    A lot can change in 5 years, we won't be blindfolded, we will follow the road of VR/AR. If people use more AR, our goal will be to help "sensing" AR. If the technology is merging (Sulon Q for instance), we will adapt our hardware to fit those requirement. Of course, we are not building application for VirtualTouch right now and the plan should the same after 5 years. Actually, we want to help people develop specific application. In 5 years, we really hope to have a finest catalogue of tools to ease your life. (Truly ergonomic keyboard, medical applications, music learning, teaching, ....)

Long term vision (10+ years)
    VirtualTouch need to evolve, without saying too much about our future plan, we can tell you that we are developing hardware and are not ready to stop developing one.

Where do we see the industry
    Well, we think there will be an evolution. People doesn't want glove, they want nothing on there hands. Ameliorations always as a place, but people need to understand the hardware limits.
    1) Bulky big exoskeleton. (For high precision)
    2) Slim design and even wireless (When it will be possible?)
    3) Who knows??

Wearing tech
    Off coursem people don't want to see hardware, wires, they only want slim UI to interact with. The reality for haptic is not there. We are of course talking about realistic haptic, not only buzzer like. I think people will adapt their expectations for the adoption, but VirtualTouch will optimize after time to fit the common mind of the "real" haptic.

One device per hand or per user
    We are focusing on a pair right now. As said previously, we are not developping application, we let users create applications. If one application require only one hand, that will be awesome, that is others choices.

Hope we are aswering your questions,

Bests,

Exium Reality Team
    Exium Reality Inc. Pushing Virtual Limits

The future is Virtual
    "Technology makes the world a new place."
    - Shoshana Zuboff

Great response. What about Brain-human interfaces? That's probably 15-20 years out. Have you guys given this any though, or is that outside your current realm of thought?

The brain humain interface is a great science to explore and experiment. I agreed about the timelapse, but no, this isn't in the current program.

When VR headsets will be there, we will surely follow to offer an all-in-one solution. We know that IBM is announcing something pretty big regarding brain interface (cognitive system), but the demo they shown was not really "brainish" analysis. I'm talking about the project SAO the Beginning by IBM. The publicity tried to show something close to the Nervegear, but the real test was, well, realistic.

Announcement:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFj0e09yCYY

Real test:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G33pMjfU28
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQmlWAXid6s

Sure it is a great project, but saying "cognitive system" is not so realistic.
    Exium Reality Inc. Pushing Virtual Limits

The future is Virtual
    "Technology makes the world a new place."
    - Shoshana Zuboff