IMAX Opening Virtual Reality Stations/Theaters This Year!

We all knew that IMAX had some interest in virtual reality. After all, their theaters are all about stimulating the sense, right? Well, yesterday the company announced that they plan on opening multiple virtual reality stations nationwide before the end of 2016! Yep, that's right, in under four months there will be multiple stations around the globe in which theater-goers can participate in VR experiences.

The company's CEO, Greg Foster, made the announcement at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference to the delight of shareholders, as the stock has since shot up over 3%. The company will likely use the virtual reality stations to draw in more theater-goers, offering tickets which are for a movie and then an experience. IMAX is so bullish on this idea that they are supposedly spending over 50% of their time working on it.

What do you guys think? Is this something which could help take VR mainstream, and would you pay any extra for an added VR experience along with your movie?

Name:  a1.png
Views: 737
Size:  475.3 KB

It's always great to see big brands get behind VR. It's even better to see markets react and reward them for doing it as that encourages deeper investment.
    In answer to your question though, I don't think IMAX will have the same impact in bringing VR to the mainstream as say Google Daydream and YouTube. In essence a Daydream phone and headset will give you and almost IMAX experience in your own home.
    I do think IMAX could be the premium VR offering and there is always a market for the top end premium offering.

This is great for the VR ecosystem. Big companies adapting the technology is definitely a big help in to paving the way for mainstream VR. However Derek is right for it be incorporated mainstream, it has to be incorporated into people's daily lives. But I don't think that Google Daydream and Youtube have that ability to impact such change simply because they are already incorporated into people's lives. In fact, It kind of drives people away, because they know YT and Google in a certain way. People are used to these services in the traditional sense, a non-VR sense, so I don't see them converting people into VR users as easily as it may seem. Just because they have the mainstream audience at their fingertips it does not mean they are pioneers of making certain markets, mainstream.

Just a quick update here. It appears as if the first IMAX VR theater opening will be pushed back to early 2017: http://www.androidheadlines.com/2016...shed-2017.html

IMAX has not stated the reason for the delays. but we should begin to see these pop up over the next few months it seems.

How much protection lies between the VR headset and the faces of the viewers? I assume they will be using some sort of VR cover right? I just know if I walked in there and had to put a VR headset on that some complete stranger just wore minutes ago, I'd be a little skeptical of germs and facial oils.

Looks like the IMAX VR website is now live. Not sure if this was just launched or not. Looks really interesting though. See: http://imaxvr.imax.com/

Well I think this is a great way to introduce the out of date community and movie goers to VR and perhaps help build a new customer base entirely off of movies which in the long term could help the market as a whole, so I think this is awesome. Will have to see if I can find one in the area lets hope they replace those facials though or let me bring my own