VR Tour using HTC Vive

Hi Guys,
    I'd like to create a VR tour of a building/garden using the HTC Vive, I'd like it to work much like the photo-realistic tours bundled with "The Lab": Lava Tube and Vesper Peak.

This means the user would be stood in our building and able to teleport around set points using the controller, we already have the 360 photos so it's just a case of creating the teleport system.

Is there anything currently available to do this or would I have to start learning some game development e.g. Unity?

Thanks,
    Leigh
    Last edited by lellis2k; 10-10-2016 at 02:08 PM.

Super Moderator
    Moved to developer forum

To answer your question, I think you will need to learn some aspects of game development.

If you use Unity, you can look into using the SteamVR Toolkit for teleporting: https://github.com/thestonefox/SteamVR_Unity_Toolkit.

However, The Lab uses 3D models rather than flat images so you will end up with a different effect.
    Medical Physics student, Programmer, VR Enthusiast

I will graduate mid-2017 with my Masters degree.

For more information about me, visit liamfoot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Liam2349 View Post
    Moved to developer forumHowever, The Lab uses 3D models rather than flat images so you will end up with a different effect.
    Ah yes of course, I don't think we'll be able to 3D model our rooms any time soon, we do have some exterior models so would be good to implement those in some way, though I'm guessing implementing both 3D models and 360 photos in the same app could be over-complicating it, for now at least. Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by lellis2k View Post
    Ah yes of course, I don't think we'll be able to 3D model our rooms any time soon, we do have some exterior models so would be good to implement those in some way, though I'm guessing implementing both 3D models and 360 photos in the same app could be over-complicating it, for now at least. Thanks for the advice!
    Lellis2K, did you ever create this? If so, I'd love to see it. I'm thinking about making one of my own as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ModestMichael View Post
    Lellis2K, did you ever create this? If so, I'd love to see it. I'm thinking about making one of my own as well.
    I made a start on a 3D model, it's going to be a long-term project, one issue is that it's hard to run the 'Destinations' program without having the headset, using a simulator just didn't cut it.

I need to get budget to buy the headset so we can have a proper play, let us know how you get on!