GTA 6: Will Cost $500M to Develop, & Be Released in VR

While there have been rumors surfacing about GTA 6 for years now, the latest rumors indicate that the next version of the hit game will undoubtedly be VR-ready. This means that the game will likely launch for the Rift, Vive and PS VR headsets, but likely not until 2018-2019. According to the same rumors, it is expected that RockStar will spend close to $500 million on the games' development, doubling that of what they spent on GTA 5. The main reason for the spending boost is because of the game's VR ambitions.

There is no doubt that if GTA 6 did in fact release as a virtual reality game (which seems pretty obvious given that it is still 18-24 months away), it will easily eclipse the last version of the game's $800 million first day sales, and go on to rake in substantial profits. By 2018 there will be tens tens of millions of VR headsets in the market, and I'm sure Rockstar would release non-VR versions of the game as well.

What do you guys think? Is it all but a certainty that the next GTA will be VR-ready?

Name:  a1.png
Views: 5291
Size:  886.9 KB

Well, they *must* release the game to run without requiring VR if they intend to beat prior sales. "Tens of millions" of VR headsets would be unlikely to recoup $500M in development cost - unless we assumed that VR consumers are so greedy for content they'll eagerly purchase any game set in front of them, for whatever amount it's sold for, and purchase all the DLC you want to offer.

The hard truth of VR is that it will be a while before we have sufficient market to justify VR-specific games that match AAA expectations in both quality and game duration, and "forward ports" of non-VR games will be lacking because there's a great deal more to making a great VR experience than letting people play it in a headset.

Well considering that there are mods for GTA 5 to work on Oculus I would say there are hundreds of millions of GTA players out there including yours truly waiting for GTA 6 and yes it's gotta be able to do VR. I guarantee you if GTA 6 were to come out tomorrow for the PSVR sales would go through the roof!

I agree with Eddie on this. The game must be released with an option for VR but not requiring it. I'm sure it won't be a requirement. With VR as an option this has the potential to be a record breaking game, especially if it is one of the first true AAA VR games.

Stop spreading fake rumors Phil...

I do not believe in it.
    VR is just a wave, it will be in the past soon. It cost much money
    https://thinkmobiles.com/blog/how-mu...elopment-cost/

Grand Theft Auto is an action-adventure video game series created by David Jones and Mike Dailly; the later titles of which were created by brothers Dan and Sam Houser, Leslie Benzies and Aaron Garbut.