Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Apple iPhone 8 - Transparent Display, Solid Unbreakable Glass to Allow for AR & VR!

For those of you who have been expecting something huge from Apple next year with the release of the iPhone 8, the rumor mill has just gotten a bit hotter. According to Robert Scoble, a tech writer who has lots of inside info, next year could be very special not only for Apple, but for the Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality space as a whole. Scoble, who works for UploadVR, recently made a very interesting Facebook post, where he claims that unnamed sources have provided some extraordinary info, almost futuristic sounding.
    "The next iPhone will be, I am told, a clear piece of glass (er, Gorilla Glass sandwich with other polycarbonates for being pretty shatter resistant if dropped) with a next-generation OLED screen (I have several sources confirming this). You pop it into a headset which has eye sensors on it, which enables the next iPhone to have a higher apparent frame rate and polygon count than a PC with a Nvidia 1080 card in it. Thanks to foveated rendering."
    A shatter resistant iPhone that is also water proof and needs no case, could be the perfect solution for snapping it into a headset meant for AR/VR or even mixed reality. However, because of the eye sensors you may not need a headset at all. You can simply hold the "clear glass" up to your face and see AR/VR through the OLED screen.

I find it very hard to believe that the iPhone 8 will be transparent. That means all of the components would need to be stuffed into the bottom of the phone. Scoble thinks this is possible.

Also, updates from new sources: expect battery and antennas to be hidden around the edges of the screen, which explains how Apple will fit in some of the pieces even while most of the chips that make up a phone are in a pack/strip at the bottom of the phone.
    This on top of the unbreakable design would make the iPhone 8 not only a revolutionary smartphone but also a revolutionary VR device.

Now add a sensor that can see extremely small changes in depth. You'll look through the glass in mixed reality modes (think of a new kind of Pokemon game) either in the headset, or in your hand. Apple's purchase of Metaio is going to prove very key. I won't be shocked to learn that Peter Meier, CTO there, is in charge of the next iPhone strategy and has been for years. This interview, back in 2011, shows the kind of vision he has: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFgIuOPQovo What all this means is that really amazing VR/AR/mixed reality is coming to a phone, and coming by the end of 2017.
    What do you think? Is this possible??

Name:  a1.jpg
Views: 10569
Size:  21.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by VIVEorDIE View Post
    For those of you who have been expecting something huge from Apple next year with the release of the iPhone 8, the rumor mill has just gotten a bit hotter. According to Robert Scoble, a tech writer who has lots of inside info, next year could be very special not only for Apple, but for the Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality space as a whole. Scoble, who works for UploadVR, recently made a very interesting Facebook post, where he claims that unnamed sources have provided some extraordinary info, almost futuristic sounding.

A shatter resistant iPhone that is also water proof and needs no case, could be the perfect solution for snapping it into a headset meant for AR/VR or even mixed reality. However, because of the eye sensors you may not need a headset at all. You can simply hold the "clear glass" up to your face and see AR/VR through the OLED screen.

I find it very hard to believe that the iPhone 8 will be transparent. That means all of the components would need to be stuffed into the bottom of the phone. Scoble thinks this is possible.

This on top of the unbreakable design would make the iPhone 8 not only a revolutionary smartphone but also a revolutionary VR device.

I don't know if that is possible...I mean sure, we might have the technology to do this, but to make it a product that anyone can buy? Doubt it. And Apple, even with their higher prices, will not want to leave a particular level of the community out just to innovate.

Sounds crazy and I need it. I need all the crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by VIVEorDIE View Post

I think it would be equite interesting to see it done, but is it practical? Looking at it from a security perspective, I think it would be a little weird having the back display what I'm doing on the phone.

Wherever VR takes ..................... me.
    I think Robert Scoble is confused. It won't be transparent, it may have an edge to edge screen and when used with the camera seem like it is transparent (like how pokemon go works). Like you said, if it was actually transparent all the electronics plus the battery would have to be around the edge so it would need to have a pretty enormous bezel or the battery life would be extremely poor. Maybe for the iphone 9 I would believe it, but it seems pretty impractical.

I can't see Apple succeeding in having a transparent phone. If they do, their sales would soar, and VR would have a truly killer hardware tool in the iPhone 8. Maybe in 3 years from now this would be possible, but I can't see how this is financially feasible right now.
    Comments posted as plain-colored text are my own and not necessarily endorsed by VRTalk.
    Comments posted in blue are official Moderator comments.

People have been predicting a revolutionary new iPhone for years and we keep getting incremental improvements. I have little faith this will be any different.
    Comments posted as plain-colored text are my own and not necessarily endorsed by VRTalk, Comments posted in blue are official Moderator comments.

So yeah, I think I'm too skeptical to believe Apple will come out with something so cool. It [Apple] has a way of making mediocre or old features look new

I don't think half of it will be possible in the near future.

Scoble really seems to be pretty sure about these rumors. In my opinion it's impossible with not only today's technology, but with the technologies of 2-3 years from now. In fact I would guess that anything like this is a minimum of 4-5 years away at best. Sensors, the battery, memory, controls, etc, all have to fit in there somewhere, and unless the phone is twice the size this isn't going to work.

If Apple can really get their sensors accurate we could see the screen mimic a transparent display to a certain extent, but battery efficiency will need to increase 5-6 times for anything like this to be possible, especially when considering the power required for a decent GPU for AR.