Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    From what I've been reading, Apple will have a very difficult time releasing an OLED device next year. Apparently OLED displays are in very short supplied and Apple is at the mercy of their suppliers. The biggest of these suppliers, unfortunately is Samsung. From what I'm reading they would only be able to release OLED iphones in limited quantities next year, making 2018 a more likely timeframe for the first OLED iPhone.
    Comments posted as plain-colored text are my own and not necessarily endorsed by VRTalk.
    Comments posted in blue are official Moderator comments.

As much as I'd love to have a transparent iPhone next year, I think this will be a massive challenge for Apple, not just next year but within the next 3-4 years, given component shortages and the gigantic task of trying to fit all the components around the border of the phone. NOT there yet!

The latest rumors are that Apple will be releasing an OLED version of the iPhone with their next release but the OLED release will coincide with a traditional LCD screen as well. This makes sense because there will probably only be a limited supply of OLED iPhones, and many people probably won't be sold completely on paying extra for an OLED version. It allows Apple to release an OLED version for those who really want one, but not have to worry so much about supply shortages.
    Comments posted as plain-colored text are my own and not necessarily endorsed by VRTalk.

Scoble actually does explain what he was talking about a bit more in the Inside AR/VR podcast that he's a part of. If you haven't heard of that, it's great and you should all check it out. But he does outline why he believes it'll be a clear piece of glass and these are some of the things he was saying.

-The next generation oled screens will be 80% more efficient than our current screens, and 60% of the battery power goes to producing what's on the screen; so the battery will be half the size.
    -Qualcomm is producing a little cube the size of a sugar cube that has the gpu, the processor, and the memory all stacked together. "So that little cube can sit in the corner of your phone and run the whole thing and the rest is battery. I think apple is going to innovate on battery... I think it's going to be better than lithium ion."

I think this is super cool and explains a little bit better what he was talking about, but if he's right about this it'll really start to bring MR/AR into the public's eye if they do it well.

duffin01, is there any word on whether or not these next generation oled screens will be in the 2017 version of the iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBaddestManInTown View Post
    duffin01, is there any word on whether or not these next generation oled screens will be in the 2017 version of the iPhone?
    From what I've heard, there's a chance, and Scoble certainly seems to think so. If I had to guess from what I've seen, I'd say it's definitely more likely for the 2018 or 2019 iPhone, but I wouldn't rule it out for 2017.

Well I won't be possible right now, we don't have translucent batteries or circuits, and that something a phone will for sure need, maybe it can have a translucent space, where is only the screen and no wires need to be there or something.

I think the idea was to fit all of this stuff around the outside of the phone, which I can't see being very possible at this point in time. While it may be possible, the price would be so high no one would be able to afford an iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by chemy View Post
    Well I won't be possible right now, we don't have translucent batteries or circuits, and that something a phone will for sure need, maybe it can have a translucent space, where is only the screen and no wires need to be there or something.

Also in the rumors, Home button now changed or added more functions behind it like: Touch Bar in iPhone 8 (Macbook Pro with Touch Bar & Touch ID)

Name:  touchbar.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  106.4 KB