Thread: Drawing in VR

Drawing in VR

One of the top things I was excited for when I got my Daydream View was drawing in VR. And I don't mean like in Tiltbrush because Daydream doesn't have any sort of spacial tracking. But like being able to draw on a 2D canvas. That would be awesome and I'm surprised there isn't an app for it yet.

Super Moderator
    How would you control the brush? Does the remote do 2d tracking?
    Comments posted in plain text are my own, comments posted as a moderator will be posted in blue.

Quote Originally Posted by tosvus View Post
    How would you control the brush? Does the remote do 2d tracking?
    Yea it does. Its like a wii remote

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kali Takumi View Post
    Yea it does. Its like a wii remote
    Ok, thanks. That is a nice feature, and I would think someone will take advantage of it soon!
    Comments posted in plain text are my own, comments posted as a moderator will be posted in blue.

Yes the remote does have 2D tracking, so I think it would be a perfect solution. I'm sure there are probably several drawing apps and even games in the making as we discuss this topic, but I'm surprised that there wasn't one available at launch.

Check out this little demo from a burntcookie90 on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/daydream/co..._vive/dbuhadz/

It's super-basic, but shows a bit of what can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by saltorio View Post
    Check out this little demo from a burntcookie90 on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/daydream/co..._vive/dbuhadz/

It's super-basic, but shows a bit of what can be done.
    Hey thanks mate

Name:  Screenshot_20170106-013523.png
Views: 105
Size:  748.0 KB
    I started messing around and thought I might share my first impressions.
    Its a fantastic start! I didnt realise at first you could change colours and brush sizes! I just wish there was yellow, orange, and black.
    Other than that, the brushes would do better circular.
    Even so, this is amazing! Just what I hoped for!

As an artist, that was something I was also looking forward when I was anticipating my google daydream vr. It would really be great if there's an app for it. However, while waiting for it I was tempted to do something else with daydream view. Well, this website has a lot of good stuffs to share so I was tempted to go ahead and try them.

This looks cool, I'm going to download it now and give it a try! Like Kali said, The only downfall with the Daydream for painting is the remote is only 3 Degrees of Freedom instead of 6 like Vive & Oculus. "Tilt Brush" is made by Google though, so they are probably working on getting a Daydream version ready! I am pretty sure when the "2nd Gen" Pixel phone comes out with Daydream 2.0 it will have full 6 degrees of freedom, that will be awesome in a mobile VR headset! For now though, even if you just get to use the remote like a laser pointer to paint is pretty awesome in a VR environment! The future is great! Think of all the cool ways we will be able to experience art! =)