Question What are the best ways to distribute your content?

Hi all! I am a VR newbie, and the organization I work for has just begun to produce VR video content. We are trying to figure out how best to release our content for the world to download, preferably into any VR headset, system, phone, etc. We are not interested in whether or not platforms are profitable, as we are not interested in making a profit. (Or more accurately, we cannot make a profit.) We just want our content to reach the widest audience possible.

From my limited research into VR thus far, it seems the market is pretty segmented -am I correct? Different platforms ie. Samsung, Google, HTC, Occulus, etc. seem to want to play keep-away with the content they acquire for their gear. This is extremely frustrating from a content distribution point of view. My opinion: these companies need to make their platforms stand apart by merit of quality, not by limiting their clients' customer base.

Release it to The Google/Apple/Oculus/Vive/etc app stores.

Thanks. As far as the video content goes, does it need to be modified in any special way for each of the different platforms?

Are there any other lesser known 'stores'? As a generic Android user with an off-brand cheap VR headset, I'm personally having a hard time finding where to download content. The best place I've been able to dig up so far is Fulldive?