Super Moderator

Unity starts supporting developing in VR, tomorrow

UploadVR reports that Unity will start supporting (some) development inside VR, tomorrow.

"Editor VR is designed to make developing both VR and non-VR content much easier by allowing creators to make games without needing to remove their headset. It uses the Vive Wands and Oculus Touch controllers for accurate, intuitive control, allowing you to access traditional settings via 3D windows and also take advantage of new ones like faster object placement. All of the features we’ve seen on-stage so far are expected to be included in the experimental release, though we’ve reached out to Unity to confirm this.

The last time we saw Editor VR it had come a surprisingly long way from its humble beginnings at the start of 2016. One major new editions was Tools, which takes creative software developed by other teams and turns them into new features for you to use to build your games. Right now it supports a handful of apps including the brilliant Tvori, but imagine one day making an amazing sculpture in Tilt Brush and then bringing it into your game world as an interactive item.
    "

Source:
    http://uploadvr.com/tomorrow-can-mak...thin-vr-unity/
    Comments posted in plain text are my own, comments posted as a moderator will be posted in blue.

I wonder how long it will take for us to begin seeing an influx of Unity based VR games being released. Hopefully its sooner rather than later.

I think I stick to working outside of VR until they get a stable release out. I'm not so sure how useful it will be, it looks cool to just be able to pull out models and place them wherever you want, but even if I was to do that in my first pass at making a level I would still want to tweak things more finely and adjust various settings using the menus. VR is a wonderful tool for doing things like adjusting materials though, you can really get in close to a model and move around it to see how various settings effect the material's appearance. I've used VR a lot when working in Unity, but I think it will be a mixture of both standard and VR for some time until the VR controls are really sophisticated.
    Comments posted as plain-colored text are my own and not necessarily endorsed by VRTalk, Comments posted in blue are official Moderator comments.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JegsterPSVR View Post
    I wonder how long it will take for us to begin seeing an influx of Unity based VR games being released. Hopefully its sooner rather than later.
    I wouldn't expect a sudden influx of new games from this.
    Medical Physics student, Programmer, VR Enthusiast

I will graduate mid-2017 with my Masters degree.

For more information about me, visit liamfoot.com

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Anglerfish View Post
    I think I stick to working outside of VR until they get a stable release out. I'm not so sure how useful it will be, it looks cool to just be able to pull out models and place them wherever you want, but even if I was to do that in my first pass at making a level I would still want to tweak things more finely and adjust various settings using the menus. VR is a wonderful tool for doing things like adjusting materials though, you can really get in close to a model and move around it to see how various settings effect the material's appearance. I've used VR a lot when working in Unity, but I think it will be a mixture of both standard and VR for some time until the VR controls are really sophisticated.
    I think the main point is getting things to look right. This will probably make it easier to check that things look like they are in the correct place, and are scaled appropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam2349 View Post
    I think the main point is getting things to look right. This will probably make it easier to check that things look like they are in the correct place, and are scaled appropriately.
    Well that's what the ability to run your game inside of Unity is for, so I can make changes and then get in there and see how they look in VR, but in terms of editing in VR I just don't see it being precise enough. Unless it's got a really smart snapping system, if I want to say put a bowl on a table, I wouldn't want to do that in VR because it might not end up perfectly straight or perfectly aligned with the top of the table. Whereas using the menus I can align everything down to the most minute levels and then hit play and see how it looks in VR. The ability to go back in forth between the flat interface and VR is essential to the development process, but I just don't anticipate doing a lot of my fine editing in VR.
    Comments posted as plain-colored text are my own and not necessarily endorsed by VRTalk, Comments posted in blue are official Moderator comments.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Anglerfish View Post
    Well that's what the ability to run your game inside of Unity is for, so I can make changes and then get in there and see how they look in VR, but in terms of editing in VR I just don't see it being precise enough. Unless it's got a really smart snapping system, if I want to say put a bowl on a table, I wouldn't want to do that in VR because it might not end up perfectly straight or perfectly aligned with the top of the table. Whereas using the menus I can align everything down to the most minute levels and then hit play and see how it looks in VR. The ability to go back in forth between the flat interface and VR is essential to the development process, but I just don't anticipate doing a lot of my fine editing in VR.
    Sure, I see what you're saying. Their initial demo looked quite impressive so I look forward to testing it out at some point.