Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam2349 View Post
    That motherboard also has a lot of USB 2.0 instead of 3.0 or above, so check if that will be an issue.

Yes the GTX 1080 will be very good. If you're feeling like spending more you could even look at the Titan X (Pascal).

There's nothing that will make 64GB of RAM and the 6700K bad, but if you want to shell out extra for the luxury then you may see some benefit.
    The mobo has 4 USB 3.0 ports, 2 USB 3.1 ports, and 2 USB 2.0 ports (one is specifically for a gaming mouse, which I doubt I would use). Onboard headers offer another 4 USB 3.0 ports and 6 USB 2.0 ports. The front panel on my case is all USB 2.0, so all my USB 3.0 will be on the back panel. Seems like plenty to me, but if I needed more I could get a USB 3.0 front panel for one of the 5.25" slots and take advantage of the onboard headers that will otherwise go unused. I think I also have a USB 2.0 card reader already installed in the case which I'll likely use.

I'm feeling pretty comfortable that this build finds a nice balance of performance and value. From the research I've done, it seems like the bump up to this year's components will add only a marginal performance increase for well over $1000 in price increase...doesn't seem worth it to me. If I find the system slowing down in 6 months I can add some M.2 SSDs for a cheap upgrade.

I've posted over at the DaVinci Resolve forums as well to get some of their eyes on this before I put in the order.

Forgot to mention, I'm also changing tack with the SSDs. After reading this Premiere Storage Optimization article (which also has a great how-to video at the end), it seems that having single SSDs dedicated to different functions of Premiere/Resolve will produce better performance. So a RAID 1 of SSDs may not be necessary. I also remembered that I have a 240 GB Kingston Fury SSD and a 120 GB SSD (can't remember the brand) already, so I think I'll just get two of the PNY 240 GB SSDs to start. I'll use one for the OS and programs, one for Premiere/Resolve's media cache and other temp files, and one for the project files. The 120 GB SSD will then be for miscellaneous other stuff, temp storage for clearing off camera cards, and so forth. If I do find the system needs more speed, it seems like the M.2 SSDs are a better bet than a RAID 1 these days (or at least they will be within a few months).