The next HoloLens may have eye tracking

The latest Hololens patent filing by Microsoft shows a depiction of a unit that features eye tracking. That's right, the HoloLens will be able to tell exactly where you are looking, if things go as planned.

I see this having a ton of potential, especially for typing out words, making on-screen selections, etc. The ability to use your eyes as a pointer opens up a lot of possibilities.

My question is, will this lead to an even more expensive HoloLens? I hope not.

More details on the patent filing at https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-pa...nted-displays/

Eye tracking is the next progression in the development of virtual reality headsets. I don't think the HoloLens will be the only device that features it in their next version. We may see eye tracking in the Rift, Vive, and even some smartphones in the near future. I think this is a very important feature especially for augmented reality.

What would you say are the greatest benefits of eye tracking? Really don't most of us move our whole heads when looking around in vr?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Land of make-believe View Post
    What would you say are the greatest benefits of eye tracking? Really don't most of us move our whole heads when looking around in vr?
    I think new people in particular like to use their eyes. Eye tracking opens up a world of possibilities.
    Medical Physics student, Programmer, VR Enthusiast

I will graduate mid-2017 with my Masters degree.

For more information about me, visit liamfoot.com

One benefits of eye tracking

Quote Originally Posted by Land of make-believe View Post
    I see the benefits of eye tracking on a personal level. To address your question due to a spinal cord injury I do not have full range of motion of my head/neck because of the fact most of my cervical vertebrae are fused together after requiring extensive bone grafts because of the destruction of 2 of my vertebrae as well as needing several surgeries due to multiple complications of my spinal cord injury. I hope "Land of make-believe" this gives you another perspective regarding the reason eye tracking VR may be beneficial to another sector of society.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CrickStar3D View Post
    I see the benefits of eye tracking on a personal level. To address your question due to a spinal cord injury I do not have full range of motion of my head/neck because of the fact most of my cervical vertebrae are fused together after requiring extensive bone grafts because of the destruction of 2 of my vertebrae as well as needing several surgeries due to multiple complications of my spinal cord injury. I hope "Land of make-believe" this gives you another perspective regarding the reason eye tracking VR may be beneficial to another sector of society.
    That is a great use for eye-tracking! The one that will probably impact most users however, is what they call foveated rendering, which means that the machine can render the area you look directly at, in a higher resolution than the surrounding areas. This will have drastic impact on the processing power needed for games and applications, and can lower the specs needed to play in VR, allow much higher resolution and detail if we stick to the current requirements, or a combination.

Note of concern: The fresnel and hybrid fresnel lenses are quite sensitive to where you look, so image quality deteriorates due to current optics in the Vive and Rift for instance, if you start looking to far away from the center.
    Comments posted in plain text are my own, comments posted as a moderator will be posted in blue.