Amazon Says Samsung Gear VR Headset One of 3 'Holiday Best Sellers'

With literally millions of different products on Amazon.com it was easy to get caught up in a shopping whirlwind this holiday season. I think I probably bought 90% of all the gifts I did this year on the website and probably bought 50% more than I really wanted to. Amazon has without a doubt become the go-to website for shopping.

This is why data from the company is such a powerful tool in gauging just how an industry or a product really is doing in the marketplace. Well, this week Amazon announced its 3 hottest products over the holiday season, and although they didn't provide actual numbers, such information goes a long way in figuring out consumer sentiment towards certain products.

Joining the Garmin Vivofit fitness tracker and Garmin Vivoactive HR, was the already popular mobile VR headset, the Samsung Gear VR. The $99 headset, which has sold over 2 million units to date, seems to have been an incredibly hot product over the last month or so.

With sales of the Oculus Rift, HTC Vive and Playstation VR falling shy of what analysts had originally predicted, this data seems to indicate that consumers went with the cheaper, less complex option in the Gear VR. Considering that the PSVR requires a PS4 console and the Rift and Vive require high-end gaming PCs, the higher-end headsets were tough gifts for many apparently.
    Name:  a14.png
Views: 2449
Size:  291.7 KB

This is great news! In regards to Oculus/Vive/PSVR not selling as much as predicted, I believe this will change by next christmas when prices for all these HMDs drop.