Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[Rift] Aquila Bird Flight Simulator - supporting Oculus Touch!

Updated 27th February 2017

Aquila is now in the Gallery section on the Oculus Store as from the 25th January. It is US$4.99, and equivalent amounts in other currencies.

Latest changes:

- Oculus Touch controller tutorial, and Xbox controller tutorial.
    - DK2 now supported again. Please report back with*feedback. It works fine on my original DK2 headset. If you have a DK2 and want to try it, drop us a line I have a handful of keys to send out until I trust it is working properly.

Download is in the Oculus store; website link is the same as below. Note the demo is the previous version, not 0.89.

Graeme

------------

It's not finished, but I have been working on a soaring bird flight simulator for the Oculus Rift. You embody one of three species of eagle, with three different terrains. The demo features the three birds, but only one terrain and a ten minute flight time per go.

Website at http://www.aquila-bfs.com ... demo at http://www.aquila-bfs.com/download/

There are various control methods. The app was originally made for the Xbox360/One controller, but also supports steering with the headset, Oculus Touch controllers, and is you're really desperate you can use keyboard. The Oculus remote will work to navigate the menu like the Xbox controller DPad.

Like many VR flying apps, this can be pretty intense. In particular for the Oculus Touch, but generally recommended, I would suggest you play sat down. It is enjoyable stood up, but I'll let you be the judge of whether you'll fall over or not. To reduce the impact, I'd recommend gentle gliding flight with the default options (wind at 230 degrees) on the ridge you overlook on starting. You may have to turn left to see it, but it's massive. You can see the wind direction from small particles that float with the wind.

This is a relaxing soaring simulator. These are pretty large terrains, and you'll glide at about 30mph, so when you're high up you can seem to be moving slowly over the ground. Fly however you like, but I plan to add a stamina level for any non-touch control method to encourage some efficient flying!

The touch support is challenging; gliding is simple enough, but flapping flight is pretty exhausting after a few minutes if you're new to such things. Take off from flat ground may take a few attempts to get the balance of flapping and pitch control right; I'm trying to make it easier. The game looks at the area you cover and frequency while flapping your arms in a circular motion to define your flapping power, while you're still steering with your hands. Give it a go I'd love to have some feedback. I only got my touch controllers just before Christmas.

The videos below are running on a Windows 10 system with an i7 6700K processor, 16gb ram and a GF980 GTX. I believe any VR ready system should run it. I'd love feedback on performance or bugs.

Features:
    - Dude you're a freakin' eagle! Three species of eagle, the white tailed sea eagle, the bald eagle and the harpy eagle.
    - You have thermals and ridge lift to make flying easier. Thermic lift is marked with coloured markers (red for down, yellow for neutral and green for up). Wind direction and speed can be set on the main menu.
    - Free looking in VR, and movements are reflected in your shadow. At the moment, if you look behind you it will let you look through yourself and it's not pretty!
    - Simulates an 8kg bird with a 2.5m wingspan. The species you pick is a cosmetic difference only at present.
    - You can land and take off, and walk around on the ground. There are no trees to land in. Sorry!
    - Very high detail 13km x 13km for Northwest Scotland (plus an extra 13km lower detail each side for extra horizon). There are two additional terrains in Columbia and British Columbia, of equivalent size.
    - Day/Night cycle using UniStorm. Very pretty!!
    - Two demo courses on the Scotland terrain, simply there to show a good way to soar the main ridge, and give a start and finish goal challenge. They're not to be taken seriously.
    - Observer mode is now selectable on the in-flight menu, and displays on the main pc screen while you're in VR. It does, of course, have a performance hit.
    - The sim will launch if no headset is connected, and starts in chase view so you can play it without VR.

Issues:
    - Currently ugly if you look behind you, if you don't move your own head up, as you'll look through yourself!
    - (GRRRR) If you fly too fast, you pitch down. It's controllable, and rare now thankfully, but it will do it.
    - If you get too slow on a loop, you waste lots of height recovering. That's possibly not a bug.
    - You can't currently 'trim' in pitch, although you can fly just fine without.
    - The flapping doesn't look quite right for the white tailed sea eagle, but it's done with maths not the Unity animator.
    - The white tailed sea eagle does not have a ground walking animation. Please see the release notes for the demo.

Future plans:
    - (PARTWAY THERE) More dynamic landscape with things to do of course (challenges).
    - Trophy/achievement support.
    - (PARTWAY THERE) Maybe one large landscape, or many smaller ones. I'd love to be able to add more trees!
    - (Plan in motion!) Perhaps multiplayer, or motion platform support a la Birdly. I did approach Somniacs with a view to purchasing their platform for corporate events, but I cannot afford it.
    - Survival simulation? Weather, defending your territory, nest provider, etc.
    - Oral tutorial, perhaps from another bird flying nearby. That sounds like a right can of worms....
    - (in progress) Flight assistance, particularly if you've never flown anything before.

Comments and suggestions welcomed. Please see the videos below, download the demo, and give it a try. This is my first Oculus app, my first Unity app, first Touch app, although I'm not new to programming. There is also a thread in the Showcase forum. I'd love to hear your feedback.

Graeme

Headset control:

A longer flight using the observer mode on another pc:

An older video showing a brief bit of soaring and a sunset:
    Last edited by Rakku; 02-26-2017 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Added more stuff!

Demo updated ... link is the same one as above, but please read the readme file...

Graeme

Ok I've been going through the whole saga of submitting to the Oculus Store. Hopefully this'll be a good practice run for a later OpenVR/SteamVR conversion!

At least it appears on my app list, but it's going through a 'malware check' at the moment. It's been doing it for hours!!

Graeme

Name:  oculus_aquila_list.png
Views: 138
Size:  761.1 KB

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakku View Post
    Ok I've been going through the whole saga of submitting to the Oculus Store. Hopefully this'll be a good practice run for a later OpenVR/SteamVR conversion!

At least it appears on my app list, but it's going through a 'malware check' at the moment. It's been doing it for hours!!

Graeme

For Steam, at the moment, you should be able to get it on the store simply by contacting Steam by email, and showing what you have so far. No need to go through Green lighting etc. (they currently make an exception for VR games). Of course you also need to give some tax info etc. This page gives you the specifics:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...1131-WSFG-3320
    Comments posted in plain text are my own, comments posted as a moderator will be posted in blue.

Quote Originally Posted by tosvus View Post
    For Steam, at the moment, you should be able to get it on the store simply by contacting Steam by email, and showing what you have so far. No need to go through Green lighting etc. (they currently make an exception for VR games). Of course you also need to give some tax info etc. This page gives you the specifics:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...1131-WSFG-3320
    Thank you for the advice, and the link. I have now sent an email to that address with everything they've asked for.

I have uploaded a new demo to reflect the state of the game now submitted to Oculus store. The new demo is on http://www.aquila-bfs.com/download/ .

Latest changes, detailed in the readme also, are various things to slicken up integration with Oculus. It's still the three birds, Scotland landscape, and 10 minute limit. However the touch controller menu button works with the in-flight menu, the home button doesn't muck things up. There are various other bits and bobs ... the observer mode is now selectable to display on your main pc screen from the in-flight menu. It does impact performance, but my modest pc still holds 90fps. There is also an option to adjust the size of the terrain. It is set to Near by default, but also has Very Near, Medium and Far. It can be used to increase performance on your system if need be. The Oculus debug tool is great for measuring performance.

The networked Observer mode is disabled at the moment, until I can make it work with Unity 5.6 correctly.

Thank you for looking.

Graeme
    Last edited by Rakku; 01-10-2017 at 10:31 PM.

This looks interesting to say the least. Any idea when it will be available to download directly from Oculus?

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidrolling View Post
    This looks interesting to say the least. Any idea when it will be available to download directly from Oculus?
    Morning!

There is actually a version Under Review right now, but I don't know how long it takes. I have also bed approved as a steamworks developer so, while I'm still Rift only at the moment, I'll get it listed there too.

Annoyingly I've found a few bugs regarding unity control axes, so there will be a pretty rapid update already!

Just out of curiosity I tried flying the demo course on Touch. I found about half way I was pretty tired and kept missing some of the higher targets, and when I finished it I was knackered! Probably took about half an hour to do the 43 targets. I'll have to make the collider a bit bigger I think. Challenges is something I'll do more of down the line.

Graeme

The videos look amazing! It sounds like it would be pretty complicated though. what advice do you have for beginners?

Quote Originally Posted by Susan B View Post
    The videos look amazing! It sounds like it would be pretty complicated though. what advice do you have for beginners?
    I've got a much more consistent demo ready to go, but it's not uploaded yet. To be honest if you stick with an Xbox controller, or headset control, just launch yourself off the ridge and you'll be ok. Just have a go. There is a pretty comprehensive readme file within the archive, but please check the demo date and download when you see one with the 19th Jan as the date. I'll try and get it online tonight.

In the meantime I want to add a tutorial to the game, or at the least a YouTube video with a demonstration. That'll really help I think. Once you get the knack of it there's no problem.

Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by Susan B View Post
    Here's that new demo: https://www.mediafire.com/?6324uv2agy5h4ko

I've not updated the website yet, or anything else except this. I'm just too tired... Check out the readme file, and give it a go. I'd love to hear how you get on.

Graeme