5 Million Samsung Gear VR Headsets Sold!

In an announcement which has caught many analysts and experts off-guard at CES this week, Samsung has announced that they have shipped a total of 5 million Gear VR headsets to date. The last I heard was that the Gear VR had been shipped to over 2 million people, so this jump to 5 million clearly must have caught many people off-guard.

Considering that the Gear Vr wasn't officially launched until November of 2015, this means that 5 million people have received the device in just over 1 year. Also Samsung has stated that its users have watched over 10 million hours of 360-degree video on the Gear VR. Considering that gaming seems to be the main purpose of the device, I can only imagine that there are tens or even hundreds of millions of hours of gaming time logged by users.

As we head into 2017 it will be interesting to see what Samsung decides to do to continue the success of the Gear VR. Will they begin working with Google, making a DayDream headset that's compatible with Google's Daydream VR platform, or will they go their own way, further building out their Gear VR platform? Clearly the Gear VR is by far the most successful virtual reality headset on the planet, and 2017 likely won't change this.

Name:  a1.png
Views: 852
Size:  234.4 KB

I wonder how many of these 5 million were free giveaways when people bought a phone. You really can't claim to have sold this many when there really was a demand for that many, can you?

Quote Originally Posted by WildPhil1988 View Post
    In an announcement which has caught many analysts and experts off-guard at CES this week, Samsung has announced that they have shipped a total of 5 million Gear VR headsets to date
    "Shipped" is very different from "sold". How many are sitting in warehouses and on store shelves still? How many were given away free as part of various offers.

Agreed with above. Many companies use the phrase "shipped" to make it sound like their product was extremely successful. But the figures between "sold" and "shipped" are vastly different. I'm sure it has sold reasonably well but not near 5 million.