HTC Vive Smartphone Leaked!

While some analysts and industry insiders expected to an HTC Vive 2 to launch either at CES this last week or at the HTC event on January 12th, HTC has confirmed that any such product will not be unveiled any time soon. So then, why is HTC planning a major event for this coming week? Well, according to new leaks it looks like it could be related to an HTC Vive smartphone.

Serial leaker Evan Blass has just leaked images as well as a video of a new HTC smartphone coming to market which is branded the 'HTC Vive' smartphone. While little can be known from the image or video, it does appear as if the Vive smartphone may be a part of several new unique smartphones that the company has planned over the next several months. Below are two leaked Images, pulled form the original video:
    Name:  a1.png
Views: 3339
Size:  132.0 KB
    Name:  a2.png
Views: 3156
Size:  68.8 KB
    With this information things seem to perhaps come together a bit better in my head. As Google's Pixel smartphone line begins to take off from a sales perspective, fueled by their compatible DayDream VR headset, and with chief rival Samsung announcing that they have sold over 5 million Gear VR headsets, HTC clearly wants to jump into the mobile VR space. What better way to do that than through an already recognizable brand in the HTC Vive. Perhaps the rumors of a Vive 2 are true after all and HTC will be unveiling a smartphone-compatible Vr headset branded with the Vive moniker. The next week will be an interesting one indeed.

Thoughts?

I'm wondering if this will be a Daydream-ready phone or will it instead have its own library of games similar to GearVR.
    Comments posted as plain-colored text are my own and not necessarily endorsed by VRTalk.
    Comments posted in blue are official Moderator comments.

Bummer, I don't see lighthouse IR sensors all over it, unless there's an accompanying HMD that's covered with them. The thing mobile VR is missing is room scale! Otherwise, maybe the partnership with Valve was a temporary convenience?

Super Moderator
    Interesting. I do wonder how it will fit into the SteamVR ecosystem, or if it is simply just using Daydream and labeling it Vive.
    Comments posted in plain text are my own, comments posted as a moderator will be posted in blue.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tosvus View Post
    Interesting. I do wonder how it will fit into the SteamVR ecosystem, or if it is simply just using Daydream and labeling it Vive.
    I hope it's more than that. This could dilute their brand.
    Medical Physics student, Programmer, VR Enthusiast

I will graduate mid-2017 with my Masters degree.

For more information about me, visit liamfoot.com