Anybody use the Front camera ?

Just curious if anybody uses the front camera . I enabled mine and controller tracking went crazy , tried a different port and controllers were fine , but the headset wouldn't track , another , one base station ....finally found one that seemed to work but I couldn't help thinking it was sucking up bandwith so I just disabled it....

Now that you mention it, I noticed I have it turned on but rarely use it. Only when I'm trying to find out if I'm about to hit something or not, which isn't that often. I notice some tracking issues too, my controller will fly off on me sometimes. Maybe that's the camera? I'll try disabling it and report back if I still have tracking issues.

On a side note about the camera - It's extremely disappointing how poor the quality is on it for the price we payed for this thing. I know we obviously didn't pay for a camera, we payed for VR, but for the price we payed we deserve better quality. When I do actually use the camera, I feel like I'm using an old Nokia phone camera from back in the early 2000's. I'm certain they could have crammed a better camera in there with ease and little cost.
    Last edited by Spazem; 01-08-2017 at 11:11 PM.

Occasionally I'll double press the home button and flip it on if I need to move across the room and turn down the stereo. I currently have it set to 30Hz. It doesn't always consistently turn on but I haven't run into any tracking issues with it.

from what I have gathered , its something to do with usb ports/speed/routing and the bandwidth it can handle , switching ports made a difference but like said above , the quality of my view made it hardly worth it ....I guess I was expecting full face view where I could be on pc with for short bursts and such .....

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazem View Post
    Now that you mention it, I noticed I have it turned on but rarely use it. Only when I'm trying to find out if I'm about to hit something or not, which isn't that often. I notice some tracking issues too, my controller will fly off on me sometimes. Maybe that's the camera? I'll try disabling it and report back if I still have tracking issues.

On a side note about the camera - It's extremely disappointing how poor the quality is on it for the price we payed for this thing. I know we obviously didn't pay for a camera, we payed for VR, but for the price we payed we deserve better quality. When I do actually use the camera, I feel like I'm using an old Nokia phone camera from back in the early 2000's. I'm certain they could have crammed a better camera in there with ease and little cost.
    A better camera wouldn't help - it's the resolution of the headset that's the limiting factor, and when you use Gear VR with a flagship Samsung phone it's equally as bad.

The main benefit of the camera in my opinion is room view, where you double-press the system button and can see outlines of all the objects in your room. I use this to find my headphones, controllers, drinks, and occasionally to move the headset cable.

The camera can cause some tracking issues however, and to avoid this, I have to restart my PC before using the Vive.
    Medical Physics student, Programmer, VR Enthusiast

I will graduate mid-2017 with my Masters degree.

For more information about me, visit liamfoot.com