HTC Vive Outselling Oculus Rift 2-to-1 ? Epic Games' Tim Sweeney Says So

Over the course of the last 8 months or so, since the major VR headsets began launching, it had been estimated by many analysts that Facebook's Oculus Rift had been outselling the HTC Vive by a pretty wide margin. A price tag that was $200 under that of the Vive, as well as a $200 billion company backing the Rift is what many believe helped Oculus get off to such a lead.

In the meantime neither company has stated how many headsets they have sold, leaving much to our imaginations. This week, however, one of the VR spaces top men, Epic Games founder Tim Sweeney, opened up to Glixel.com in an exclusive interview. While the interview was primarily about the future of VR, Sweeney let a key bit of information slip out while discussing the downfalls of Oculus' wall-garden approach to software.

"HTC Vive is outselling Oculus 2-to-1 worldwide," explained Sweeney. "I think that trend will continue."
    Huh? What? Is the Vive really outselling the Rift 2-to-1? Sweeney as the head of a company all about gaming, and one of the key companies which will lead the way in VR from a software perspective, obviously has a good idea about how the market is shaping up. After all he's making games for both of these headsets. On the other hand we have seen so many sales estimates which pretty much have stated the opposite of what Sweeney has, so this statement does come as a bit of a shocker

Sweeney's opinion on why HTC is beating Oculus in sales is related to there closed platform. Oculus Rift owners are required to download games from the Oculus Store unless they are able to figure out how to change their settings. Also Oculus has been seeking out exclusive content, which many within the industry see as a bad thing for the industry in general.

What do you guys think? Are Sweeney's estimates accurate and what would it mean for both HTC and Oculus?
    Name:  a1.png
Views: 2518
Size:  106.3 KB

I haven't been following the industry well enough to say one way or the other. However, I do hope that the Vive is indeed outselling the Occulus Rift. I've always been a supporter of open platforms over walled gardens.

Hmm, so Sweeney says a little more than half a million VR PC units have been sold. So that means that Vive sold about 333k units and Oculus 167k units to date. That's really low...

VR industry started in general from a wrong foot. Instead of working together in boundaries of Open Source effort, they all got into their little shells of potential profit and stepped on each other's feet. Vive is going the right direction, while Oculus continues it's greedy policy of exclusiveness. I do like Oculus though, the picture is of better quality, and it seems to be an overall a bit more professional than vive, but the Oculus will most likely be limping behind Vive, since everything they do now, is trying to catch up with them. Vive had controllers, Oculus released them months later, Vive will have wireless solution pretty soon, Oculus just started working recently on making one... The trend will continue similar to have AMD video cards and limping behind the Nvidia.

I mean Apple has a closed platform and they are doing well for themselves, as do many consoles,windows store,google, etc etc. While I do agree an open source enviroment would greater advance the growth of VR, there are many details behind the scenes that make this harder to achieve than one would imagine. I don't think these numbers are accurate.

Another point that was made is that you can only use the Oculus store and you must change a setting to use other places, okay fair enough but that's because Oculus wants people to get the best experiences and can't guarantee comfort levels or safety in games outside of Oculus. Another thing which I find amusing is that you can do that on Rift and you can play games from anywhere, but with a Vive you're locked to Steam (and the HTC software but iirc that's terrible) - remind me which is the more open platform again?
    Last edited by Jordan; 01-10-2017 at 04:44 PM.

Vive provides a better VR experience right now with the room sensors. The Rift will also have this capability with their Oculus Touch package. The use of exclusives is nothing new, and I think both platforms have a fighting chance.

yup, i just hope both sides flourish.
    what i don't want to see is a battle to the death like HD DVD and Bluray...LOL.

Super Moderator
    The most trustworthy numbers so far is that the Rift ended up on a little over 400K sold, while the Vive had a little over 500K sold.
    Comments posted in plain text are my own, comments posted as a moderator will be posted in blue.