Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Google Working On Super VR Phones Pixel 2 & Pixel XL 2

Google's march into the virtual reality space has been a strong one, powered by not only their own Daydream VR headset but also two powerful smartphones which are selling quite well in the Pixel and Pixel XL. Even though it's still a long way off, information seems to be leaking related to Google's ambitions when it comes to there Pixel line of smartphones and virtual reality.

Speculation coming from MobilenApps.com is indicating that Google may be planning on launching the Pixel 2 and Pixel XL 2 sometime before the year is over, likely in October. These new smartphones will be incredibly power and perfect for mobile virtual reality. Below are some of the specs and features that may be included in these new devices if rumors are to be believed:

- Water and Dust Proof
    - 2K Display on both the Pixel 2 and Pixel XL 2
    - Camera: Optical image stabilization and dual-lens
    - 6GB RAM
    - Will likely come with a Second Generation Google DayDream VR headset

Prior to these smartphones launching there should be numerous Daydream-compatible headsets and smartphones coming to market, making the Google Daydream ecosystem even stronger and perhaps driving Apple users to switch over to Android should Apple fail to announce anything VR/AR related by September. Thoughts?
    Name:  a1.png
Views: 4678
Size:  178.6 KB

I'm really so surprised by how fast it seems VR technology is moving forward, especially on the mobile end. At this rate I think we may see augmented reality and mobile devices capable of Rift/Vive-like VR in 2 years or less.

The visual fidelity of mobile-based VR will lag behind that of PC for quite a while. It's a simple result of computing power and miniaturization.

That said, I'm already quite impressed with what can be done with mobile VR. I've never played with a Vive or Occulus, but the quality and capability of mobile VR will be getting better, and quickly it seems.

Speculation from any website seems to always be on shaky ground, I'm afraid

I think this is one of the reasons why Apple won't jump into the VR market yet. It's changing so quickly and given the Apple lifecycle it would make the latest device outdated almost immediately.

it's too early to know about that, the main goal of Google was to create a phone in order to show the manufacturers how to do it, not to create a new line of phones to share market with the nexus series or to substitute the Nexus series, but right now most of their projects should be only that, a project.

I'm waiting for the 4K phones to come out. I think that's when VR will really look realistic. Even with 2K you will still see a good amount of pixels with your eyes so close to the screen.

I'm waiting for the 4K phones to come out. I think that's when VR will really look realistic. Even with 2K you will still see a good amount of pixels with your eyes so close to the screen.
    The Pixel XL is 4K.
    Last edited by Kali Takumi; 01-19-2017 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Forgot quote

Quote Originally Posted by Kali Takumi View Post
    The Pixel XL is 4K.
    No it's not.

Both Pixels (as well as a multitude of phones these days) can record 4K video. However, there are very few (if any) phones available right now with 4K screens. The Pixel XL has a WQHD screen - 2560×1440. This is 4 x 720p (1280×720). "4K" refers to 4 x 1080p, which equals a screen resolution of 3840×2160.

Quote Originally Posted by saltorio View Post
    No it's not.

Both Pixels (as well as a multitude of phones these days) can record 4K video. However, there are very few (if any) phones available right now with 4K screens. The Pixel XL has a WQHD screen - 2560×1440. This is 4 x 720p (1280×720). "4K" refers to 4 x 1080p, which equals a screen resolution of 3840×2160.
    Oh, I thought it was 4 times 1080p not 720p