Zeiss Employee: Apple & Zeiss To Launch Augmented Reality Headset

Over the course of the last year we have seen a number of rumors come and go related to Apple's augmented or virtual reality ambitions, but the latest tidbit of news coming from Tech Futurist Robert Scoble seems like it may have some major legs.

According to Scoble's Facebook post just 16 hours ago, as he closed out a week of CES exploring, Carl Zeiss AG is currently working on an augmented reality headset with Apple, and it may be ready for release this year (My guess would be September with the launch of the iPhone 8).

"Exclusive news: Apple and Zeiss working together on augmented reality optics. For the nerds who were at CES and not paying attention to all my posts. A Zeiss employee confirmed the rumors that Apple and Carl Zeiss AG are working on a light pair of augmented reality/mixed reality glasses that may be announced this year. (I thought it was next year but now that I saw this I believe it will happen this year). I hear Meta is getting ready to announce same with Lumus, the optic folks. And that explains why there was no augmented reality in Zeiss's booth even though it was right in the middle of the AR area," Scoble wrote on his Facebook page.
    For those unaware, Carl Zeiss AG is a German company known for their work in the field of medical devices as well as industrial measurement tools. If Scoble's source is being truthful, which I have no reason to doubt he/she is, this would likely mean that Apple has a smartphone-compatible AR headset in the works. This headset likely will be compatible with only the iPhone 8 and above, as it would require additional sensors and perhaps a different form-factor. Scoble is known as someone with close ties to the AR space as he was one of the foremost authorities on Google Glass a few years back when that headset was all the rage.

What do you guys think? Is Apple planning something big?
    Name:  a1.png
Views: 7534
Size:  146.8 KB

Wow this is exciting news. My question is will it be an Apple product that uses Zeiss components or will it be a joint project meaning it will be an Apple/Zeiss AR headset? I imagine it would be an Apple product, right?