How long will Rift sell without Touch?

Does anyone know if Oculus has any plans of keeping the Rift by itself when they sell headsets? My guess is that they will be combining the Touch and the Rift into one package in the near future, while allowing people to buy the Touch separately. Do you think they will continue to allow the Rift to be purchased by itself or will this eventually be halted?

I think the Rift is benefiting too much from being the cheaper option relative to the Vive, so I wouldn't expect forcing people to buy a bundle any time this generation.
    Comments posted as plain-colored text are my own and not necessarily endorsed by VRTalk, Comments posted in blue are official Moderator comments.

Super Moderator
    That's a tough one. On one hand, they will probably catch some criticism if they start making it a mandatory part of the package - as quite a few people have been excusing the lack of motion controllers, and that it is good to have a cheaper "base". On the other hand, personally I would love to see the controllers being mandatory, both as a user and as a developer. It will definitely help push what I (maybe controversially) will call *real* VR. Of course, strictly speaking, not having motion controllers is still real VR, but the level of immersion is so much better for most games (except sim type games where you typically have custom controllers like steering wheels anyway).
    Comments posted in plain text are my own, comments posted as a moderator will be posted in blue.

Bundling motion controls seems like the obvious way forward in the long-term, but I think if they do it this generation, the people that were sold on a cheaper alternative to the Vive are going to consider it a bait and switch and if anything it will just increase the market value of a Rift on its own on Ebay. If they wait until next gen, then they can at least make the case for why motion controls are needed as part of their marketing push. They're still going to have to keep bundling the Xbox controller as well I imagine since their entire existing library practically uses one, and it's going to be harder to make Rift 2 seem like a good value if consumers have to buy additional hardware to play anything made for the original.
    Comments posted as plain-colored text are my own and not necessarily endorsed by VRTalk, Comments posted in blue are official Moderator comments.

Super Moderator
    At least for the Rift CV1, I don't see them forcing you to buy motion controls. I don't think it really makes sense for them to backtrack and at this point, they would probably incur backlash for it.

For the next generation, it may make more sense. I for one am very thankful that every Vive user has motion controls, and I think it's a good way forwards.
    Medical Physics student, Programmer, VR Enthusiast

I will graduate mid-2017 with my Masters degree.

For more information about me, visit liamfoot.com