HTC Vive Fitness Band Has Been Leaked

The fitness band craze has made billions for companies like FitBit, and has pushed a whole generation of couch potatoes to work out more, but the market is getting a bit crowded, especially as Apple is expected to bring new sensors and apps to the party via the Apple Watch. With that said, HTC seems to perhaps want to leverage their success and their Vive brand to also enter the market, but perhaps in a unique way.

This week TheLeaker.com revealed that HTC has been working on a Vive-branded device with the model number 2PYV100. This device, which has been passed through the FCC, looks an awfully lot like a fitness tracker, featuring a heart rate monitor, a circular band and RF wireless capabilities.

So the question is, will this possible fitness band simply leverage the name of the Vive in order for the company to sell more, or will it actually have Vive compatibility? Is it possible that HTC will make this tracker function in both the physical environment like a FitBit would, as well as within virtual reality? Perhaps users could wander through Google Maps or other forthcoming VR fitness apps while also having their mileage, and calories burned tracked. Would this be something you'd be interested in? Why or why not?

Name:  a1.png
Views: 4203
Size:  116.7 KB

Super Moderator
    I wonder what this band could provide, but I suppose for certain work outs you don't necessarily want to carry controllers. Not sure how VR software wold use this data though. If the screen-shot is accurate, it does not appear to have any tracking sensors for Lighthouse.
    Comments posted in plain text are my own, comments posted as a moderator will be posted in blue.

This should have been just HTC-badged. It is not being used in the VR space.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by okiwa002 View Post
    This should have been just HTC-badged. It is not being used in the VR space.
    I think at a minimum, they are allowing it to connect by bluetooth to the headset to display stats, otherwise I don't think they would use the Vive label. This is similar to what they already do with phones.
    Comments posted in plain text are my own, comments posted as a moderator will be posted in blue.