Motion required in VR?

Hey guys, I am a handicapped gamer and I am wondering if motion is required for VR. I am just interested in VR for the sight-immersion. Resident Evil 7 looked amazing in VR and I appreciated that it was a sit-down experience. I can't stand up, walk, and wave my arms about, and even if I could I would prefer moving my character with a controller during long gaming sessions. Are current/future VR games requiring movement, or can I play everything with a controller and just have the VR for the immersive vision? Also, which headset would be best for me?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pareod View Post
    Hey guys, I am a handicapped gamer and I am wondering if motion is required for VR. I am just interested in VR for the sight-immersion. Resident Evil 7 looked amazing in VR and I appreciated that it was a sit-down experience. I can't stand up, walk, and wave my arms about, and even if I could I would prefer moving my character with a controller during long gaming sessions. Are current/future VR games requiring movement, or can I play everything with a controller and just have the VR for the immersive vision? Also, which headset would be best for me?
    For PC, your best bets at the moment is Rift and Vive. In your particular situation, I think the Rift is the best solution. It comes with a xbox controller and probably has more seated games, it works really well seated in terms of tracking and comfort, and the price is quite a bit cheaper. I say this as a Vive owner btw

In addition to games on Oculus Home, there are a lot of Rift supported games on Steam, though many of those were originally created for Vive, so they might require more movement in general. Your best bet for high quality games beside some of the better ones on Oculus Home is games that were originally monitor based, like Project CARS, Elite Dangerous etc.

Someone posted this on Reddit recently, note that a few require a paid program called VorpX as they were not really written for VR (I added a few extra mentioned in the thread):

Edge of nowhere
    Chronos
    Elite Dangerous
    GTA V (requires VorpX for sure)
    Vanishing of ethan carter
    Alien Isolation
    Subnautica
    Thumper
    Edge of Nowhere
    Dirt Rally
    Project Cars
    War Thunder
    Digital Combat Simulator
    Euro Truck Simulator 2
    Asetto Corsa
    Solus Project
    Skyrim
    FSX+FlyInside
    Dirt Rally
    Lucky's tale
    Comments posted in plain text are my own, comments posted as a moderator will be posted in blue.

Super Moderator
    I also suggest the Rift. If you're really not going to be active, then the Rift will be more convenient for you. I think it's a bit easier to get on and it's a bit more comfortable.
    Medical Physics student, Programmer, VR Enthusiast

I will graduate mid-2017 with my Masters degree.

For more information about me, visit liamfoot.com