Oculus Rift lost the video display with GTX 780ti and triple monitor setup.

This is driving me nuts....

I've been happily using my Rift for 3 months now with my 780ti display card and triple monitor setup.

No problems at all, it worked perfectly with the Nvidia "spanning" setting, giving me a default monitor resolution of 5760x1080 which works natively with the desktop and most of my sims (project cars, FSX, P3D etc..)

When I added the Rift, that also worked seemlessly with the three monitors still working, no changes were needed.

The Rift even mirrored the widescreen display in the Bigscreen Beta desktop showing in the same aspect ratio as the 5760x1080 letterbox.

Trying it yesterday however, after not using the rift for a couple of weeks, it now doesn't show an image. I can clearly hear the sound of the fountain in the "home" lounge (through the Rift headphones), and the desktop application is showing correctly, but no image in the Rift.

My Rift is still working fine when plugged into my other PC in the lounge which just has a single 1080p display and a GTX 970 card.

On my 780ti triple monitor PC I have the three monitors plugged into the two DVI ports and the display port (with an HDMi adapter), and the Rift is plugged into the HDMI port, so that I get the sound through its headphones.

The other symptom that has manifested itself now is that there's a very low "screeching" sound (from the display card I think), when the Rift is plugged in and the Oculus software is running with no image showing. It goes silent as soon as the Rift is unplugged (USB or HDMI) or the Oculus application is exited. So the soft screeching is heard whenever the 780ti is trying to drive the Rift.

The Oculus software did some sort of auto-update round about when the problem started, could it be that has caused the problem ?

I searched the forums first and found other posts on the HTC Vive with similar problems with triple monitors, but my Rift was working perfectly for 3 months with both display systems co-existing happilly.....

I own both rift and HTC, at first I have the same problem. Try to cut down your monitor count to 2 then 1 see if this still happen. Sometimes a simple software update will cause the issue.

Thanks for the reply VS.

I'll try what you suggest, and also try plugging the Rift into the displayport (via an adapter), instead of the HDMI socket.

I tried my last resort solution last night, re-downloading and reinstalling all of the Oculus software, but to no avail. It all proceede promisingly, then ended with the same blank screen and dull screeching noise. I call it the last resort solution because you still can't download the Oculus software as a standalone re-usable file, and my Broadband connection takes a couple of hours to get the 1.5 GB.

I've since read somewhere that the Rift gets its sound via the USB and not the HDMI connection, so maybe I will be able to leave it in the displayport instead.

I'll report back on here when I can get it working again.

Best of luck buddy, finger cross here. Let me know if this work. I'll check with my brother tomorrow when he wakes up to see if he remembers how we fix the same issue.

I've now tried disabling the monitor spanning and unplugging all but one monitor and running just that, as a standard 1080p display.

Still no luck, the same soft screeching noise from the GTX and no display from the Rift, with the orange led rather than white before putting it on. It sounds similar to the old CRT monitors when they couldn't support a higher resolution setting.

I also tried plugging the Rift into each of the GTX 780ti ports via adapters (DVI and Displayport, as well as the HDMI) and still no image.

I read worrying stories online about several instances where people had the same symptoms and blank screen and found it was poor HDMI connections and even the Rift's bespoke connection lead.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/...-oculus-cv1/p3

I checked the pins carefully with a jeweller's eyeglass but it all looks fine.

I then plugged the Rift back into my other PC with the GTX 960 card and it still works perfectly in that, no problems at all, so the headset itself is working perfectly. Thank goodness I have that as a reference test point, or I'd be going down all sorts of blind alleys.

It did relieve me of another slight concern though, when I was trying it in the PC which didn't show an image I wondered what the new background soft roaring noise to the fire crackling was through the headphones, thinking that the sound may now be distorted too. No worries though, when I tried it in my other machine and looked up at the ceiling of the VR lounge they'd recently added the Starship Enterprise gliding slowly past the roof openings

I tried reverting my Nvidia display driver back to 378.78, but the blank screen still persisted, so it's not the 382.33 driver.

I then tried another test which proves it' not hardware related to my 780ti PC. The main hard drive is in a Sata caddy, because I use it mainly with win 8.1, but I also have a Win 10 installed drive for apps and sims that need 10.

When I put that in, The Rift does work ok, picture, sound, tracking, touch controllers, everything.

So to sum up, it has stopped showing an image in my GTX 780 PC when running Win 8.1, but it works ok in the same PC when running Win 10, but it also runs perfectly in my other PC with the GTX 960 card running with exactly the same version of Win 8.1

I'm thinking now that the only possibility is that the latest Oculus drivers are now incompatible with Win 8.1 and the GTX 780ti.....

Success... I now have the GTX 780ti working again with triple monitor spanning and the Rift via Windows 8.1.

With my Win 8.1 drive in the caddy I reverted the Nvidia display driver back to 378.78 again and then found that the Rift worked in the HDMI port, but the Nvidia display program could only see the two DVI connected ones, not the third one connected via an HDMI lead in the Displayport via the HDMI/displayport adapter (that had worked in the same PC via Win 10).

I had another HDMI/Displayport adapter, a slightly different one with a short flying lead to the HDMI line socket, rather than the compact one piece HDMI/displayport adapter, so I the tried that, and the GTX 780ti then instantly saw the third monitor and gave me back the 5760x1080 "spanning" display that I'd lost.

The Rift was still working ok via the HDMI socket, but it started flashing off and on intermittently. This was a very similar symptom to something I'd experienced before when I bought my LG 4k TV in the lounge. I had discovered the frustrating technology of HDCP, the new copy protection protocol that gives so many problems when interconnecting new HDMI socket video equipment. That too had shown an intermittant blank screen when connected to my two year old PVR.

I therefore suspected the short 0.5m HDMI extension lead that carried my HDMI socket to the front of the PC for convenience when plugging in the Rift. Sure enough, when I removed it and plugged the Rift directly into the HDMI port at the back, it stopped blinking and all ran smoothly. ( Remember though, that same extension lead worked perfectly in the exact same setup when running under Win 10, so presumably that handles HDCP better).

I'm sorry that my lengthy posts on this thread do waffle on a bit , but hopefully it may help out someone else suffering from the same frustrating problems that I had.

My expereinces of using the Rift with GTX 960 and GTX 780ti display cards under Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 with a triple monitor setup have left me with the conclusion that it can work perfectly, but there are so many factors involved that it's very easy to get derailed.

The combination of Nvidia and Oculus drivers, with Win 8.1 or Win 10 operating systems, coupled with HDCP protocols making HDMI "fragile" make for a confusing mix when things stop working. I was lucky that I had two PCs and a choice of Windows OS's, or I would have thought the Rift hardware was broken.

Check out this tutorial on geforce experience unable to connect to nvidia you will get to know about it well from here.